The decision to provide free access to New Brunswick's provincial parks for Indigenous Peoples is a positive and meaningful step. I fully support recognizing the deep cultural, historical, and spiritual connections that Indigenous communities have with these lands and waters. It is an important gesture of respect and reconciliation.
At the same time, I believe we should continue looking for ways to make nature more accessible to everyone. The more people who have the opportunity to visit our parks, forests, beaches, rivers, and wetlands, the more they will understand why these places are worth protecting.
As a nature and wildlife photographer, I have spent countless hours exploring New Brunswick's natural landscapes and documenting the wildlife that calls them home. I have seen firsthand how a simple visit to a provincial park can inspire a lifelong appreciation for nature. Whether it's watching an eagle soar overhead, hearing songbirds in a forest, or observing wildlife in its natural habitat, these experiences create a connection that cannot be taught in a classroom alone.
When people develop a personal connection to nature, they are more likely to support conservation efforts, protect wildlife habitats, and advocate for the preservation of our natural heritage. Parks are more than recreational destinations—they are places where people learn about ecosystems, biodiversity, and the importance of protecting the environment for future generations.
I applaud the province for taking this step to provide free access to Indigenous Peoples, and I hope it sparks broader conversations about how we can encourage more people to experience and appreciate the natural world. Investing in public access to nature is also an investment in conservation, education, and environmental stewardship.
The future of wildlife and our natural landscapes depends on people caring about them. One of the best ways to build that care is to help people experience nature for themselves.
Keith Dennis Brewer
Nature and Wildlife Photographer
Nature and Wildlife Advocate
New Brunswick, Canada
Comments
Post a Comment